Smaug Vs. Scuttle

Competing...

I don’t know why it’s there, and I don’t know why it’s in some of us more, but it is. It’s something that comes over you and when you’re young it is encouraged...

  • “Fight to be the Best”  
  • “Work Harder than anyone else” 
  • “You’re size doesn’t matter, if you play harder” 
  • My Moms Favorite “Dynamite Comes in small packages”
  • “Be Explosive”
These, plus many more were engraved in my brain as an athlete. 

Jump ahead 2 years out of High School (This is one of my husbands favorite stories of my competitive rage b/c he got to witness it first hand)

Picture it, Sicily 1922..... HA, Just Kidding!
I’m a student at Tarleton State University and I decide to sign up for girls intramural basketball with the college ministry I’m attending. What could go wrong? Right? WRONG? 

Side Bar: I’m 5’3, and though Im short in stature: my rage and my mothers voice in the back of my head telling me to let NO one walk all over me makes up for the height difference.  

Resume: I start playing and of course I am one of the shortest players on the court. The poor young girl guarding me knows this fact ALL to well. The entire first quarter is basically her coming over my back and knocking me down. I mean, I can respect a girl who found a weakness and decided to cash in... However, she wasn’t aware that this was also a switch for 5’3 Charly. I went from freckled face/ always smiling Charly to freakin Smaug from The Hobbit getting ready to lay waste to Lake Town, and SHE was Lake Town. Her and I go for the ball and we are on the ground wrestling for it, and At this point is when I hear the whistle blow for a tie ball. Apparently this is the moment when I (Smaug) get up with the ball (Fire) in hand and see poor young girl (Lake Town) on the ground, and I slam the ball (Fire) down on to “Lake Towns” Face. I mean right on top of her stinking face. Of course in every true athletes form; I throw my hands up and act like I didn’t know what the big deal was. Give me a foul and lets move on. Right? Wrong Again?
Apparently, when playing for a college ministry and trying to show the love of Jesus Christ; this is not how you are supposed to do it. Who Knew, you were supposed to show the love of Christ when you're playing for a College Ministry much less not playing for one? Anyone?

I promise I’m getting to a point.

Fast Forward a few years to when I’m a Coaches wife. Did you know that I can’t be as loud as Toby’s Dad who is screaming at my husband (defensive coach) to put his offensive playing son in the game? DON’T DO IT CHARLY, DONT.  I’m having to learn that saying what automatically comes to my brain when Toby’s Dad is being “a not so smart gentlemen” or when a “bad call” is made by a ref., that it’s not beneficial for my husbands career, my children, or the kids playing on the field. So, basically I’m Smaug again,  flying around but this time pretending to be Scuttle from The Little Mermaid, calling a football a dingle hopper... acting like I’m clueless. UGHHH. THIS IS SOOOO HARD FOR ME YALL!
I know yelling at a ref. isn’t beneficial,  but in this beautiful mind of mind, I think to myself “ I have a pretty loud voice, maybe, just maybe he will hear me and quit being the actual “dingle hopper” on the field” I know its unlikely, but that’s the brain I’m working with here. When I was at my worst last season, during a game, My sweet daughter put her sweet little hand on mine and said  “It’s ok Mommy, it’s just a game” while my 3 yr old son is Screaming “ARE YOU KIDDING ME” (I have no idea where he is learning this stuff) 

Fast forward to Now: My daughter is finally playing the sport I love most...Softball. She’s only 6 but I know she is going to be a Cat Osterman (look her up) as most parents believe of their child. Joking...  Kind of.  Im also helping Coach her team.  So again the rage that got me through so many competitions when I was younger can not be what I use now in my competitive life or my daughters.  I also have to find a way to teach her how to hone in her competitiveness while trying to mask my own natural competitiveness, ALL while also not ruining it for her.  Being in my brain is exhausting. The struggle is real.  

I’m not writing this for any particular reason except for the fact that since my daughter has started  softball, I feel like I don’t know what to do with my hands when or if that competitive rage comes  knocking at my door.  What do I do when Jack, the coach from the other team, starts being a pickle weed?  I gotta show love to Pickle Weed Jack who is trying to ruin the game for 6-8 yr olds?.AGHH

Y’all, I know the answer is Jesus and there is no buts or what if’s about it. This is just an example of the mind of Christian woman who knows the answers but lets her human nature take over her brain. 
We gotta stick together and when we see each other struggling.... If you see me struggling here, then just tug on my arm and give me some loving correction. 


 “Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.  Do everything in love.”
1 Corinthians 16:13-14 

“You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.”
Ephesians 4:22-24

Godspeed, 
Charly Rowe 



P.S.
There are many different sides of being a competitive person and I’m talking about the one where you feel cheated or frustrated during competition. Don’t get me started on encouraging competition ,  because I will Encourage the Crap out of you!  Also, Toby, His Dad, and Pickle Weed Jack are all fictional people...sort of. Ha!


Sweet, Young, Freckled Faced Charly   


Competing For our Team from the bench


Death Rowe 


Kids definitely change your perspective 


I’m the one screaming in the back ground 


Sweet, Young, Chubby Cheeked SonnyAnn 

Comments

Popular Posts